In the receiving room we have an ongoing debate over the most insane manga titles we’ve ever seen, and I’ve compiled a list of offenders.
By way of Japanese-imported video games and to a lesser extent, movies, I’m familiar with English translations creating verbal Frankensteins. But this is no excuse for the following titles appearing as they are on an American bookshelf:
- Bobobo-bo, Bo-bobo
- Fruits Basket
- Zatch Bell!
- Sumomomo Momomo: The Strongest Bride on Earth
- Absolute Boyfriend
- Oh My Goddess! (And how comes this preoccupation with exclamation points? Negima! Rin! Yu-gi-Oh! Shugo Chara! Skip Beat! Gimmick! Reborn!…)
- Yotsuba&! (because it has not only an unnecessary exclamation… but an unnecessary ampersand, as well!)
- Hayate the Combat Butler
- Only the Ring Finger Knows
- Pig Bride
But let’s be fair– some of the manga titles end up being kind of rad. Like these.
- Full Metal Alchemist
- Lady Snowblood
- Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Rurouni Kenshin
- Old Boy (Here I might be biased: I loved the movie)
Isn’t translation funny, hahahaha?? How do they get away with such nonsense? Why, it makes me so angry!!!